You may have thought 2011 would come and go without an opportunity to participate in yet another great bite-sized creative-writing contest extravaganza. But you’d be wrong, since we’re squeezing our annual contest into the last sliver of the year. For those of you familiar with our charity contest last year, the gist is the same. It’s the holiday season, and what better way to end the year than with stories that fit anywhere and with money flowing to those who need it most.
- The contest is open starting now until 11:59pm on January 1st, 2012.
- Everyone and anyone gets one free entry to the contest.
- Every dollar you donate to the charity of your choice (after December 5, 2011) gets you another entry.
- Every dollar you donate also nets you a chance to win one of our randomly-awarded prizes, which are listed below.
- This year’s judge is none other than Robert Swartwood, the father of Hint Fiction (our well-titled sibling in the world of itty bitty stories). Mr Swartwood has also graciously donated an ebook copy of his new very short fiction collection, Phantom Energy, to all donating contestants.
(If you’re in need of a charitable inspiration, we heartily recommend Partners in Health, an NGO healthcare group that help build hospitals as well as staff, teach, and provide healthcare in some places that need it desperately, including Haiti, where their amazing work continues).
Cash Prizes (+publication/fame):
1st place: $25
2nd place: $15
3rd place: $10
Honorable mentions: A virtual pat on the back.
The prize pool (for those who donate)
Everyone will receive an ebook edition of Phantom Energy, as well as a chance to win prizes from some amazing publications that deserve your support all year long:
- From PANK: PANK 5 and Ethel Rohan’s Hard to Say.
- Artifice Magazine
- From Rose Metal Press: the flash anthology Brevity & Echo and Color Plates by Adam Golaski
- From Robert Swartwood, a copy of the anthology Hint Fiction and Phantom Energy.
- Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org (once again, you get one free one) up until 11:59pm on January 1, 2012.
- Please also email proof of your charitable donation (dated after December 5, 2011) in some form or another (forwarded confirmation email, photo, scan, whatever) to let us know to count your additional entries. All entries will be considered for publication.
- You can send your free entry first then charitable ones. All together. Some now, some later. It doesn’t matter.
- Other than your new donation, all we need for now is your name and the stories. Cover letters, extensive contact info, and bios are unnecessary.
- If you’ve been randomly selected for a raffle prize, we’ll contact you for your info (and to make sure you don’t receive a prize you already own!)
Questions, concerns, want to donate something for the prize pool? Ask in the comments or email us.